Monday 15 March 2010

A slow spring!

Mid-way through March now and still just glimmers of spring - a few Daffodil and Crocus flowers popping up and the first frogspawn appeared on 9th. Birdlife has been relatively absent. Ringed Plovers first arrived on 3rd but numbers of common waders have been quite poor - maximums of 25 Oystercatcher, 44 Lapwing and 17 Ringed Plover. Geese are beginning to dwindle with c150 left now. Tufted Duck and Common Scoter have both made it on to the yearlist. There has been little of note on the passerine front though with a peak of just c40 Skylarks and now two Chaffinches of note - usually by now we have had Stonechats and Pied Wagtail at least!!
The Obs is coming on with a team of 18 up there plasterboarding, taping, filling and painting the downstairs. I can see a noticeable difference every time I visit now. Outside is looking much smarter with tonnes of stone chips laid down, a smart new cattle grid and fencing all in place. There is still an awful lot to do however and with opening rapidly drawing nearer, finger nails at Burkle are beginning to be nibbled!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Deryk!

    I am pleased to tell you that I have nominated you for a sunshine award for your blog! Please visit my blog and see the latest entry to see how to claim your award. Speak on the phone soon I hope, Becca x

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List