Saturday 12 September 2009

Fungi

Awoke this morning to the house rattling to another westerly blow and (fortunately?) the low cloud and drizzle put paid to any thoughts of a sea-watch! So, no barge, no Good Shepherd and no planes! After breakfast and whilst various island children arrived to play, I busied myself on the computer in the hope that the weather might improve later but by 11am it hadn't and I felt I had to get out - and Lubo certainly thought so! I was on southeast census this morning and with the westerly wind driving the drizzle, I decided that the east cliffs probably held my best chance of finding any migrants. However, other than pipits, Wheatears and Twite I barely saw any passerines - a couple of Willow Warblers and a Sand Martin. My AWs reported much the same as previous days but there are now two Lesser Whitethroats plus a Common Whitethroat and a Ruff.
Its been a fantastic autumn for field mushrooms but I kept forgetting to take anything to carry them in so have had to leave them for others but today Hollie gave me a carrier bag as I went out the door and instructed me to pick some. I duly returned home just before 2pm with the bag bursting with big mushrooms - so thats tea sorted, Mushroom Something!
After a noisy lunch, all the kids went up to Schoolhouse to watch a film, the weather had brightened (even enough for the plane to get in) so Hollie and I headed over to Kenaby........to pick up pony poo!! Lovely!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List