Tuesday 28 September 2010

and the come-down!

Following the euphoria of yesterday, I was eager to be out this morning, even although the freshening SE'ly wind meant that my census (SE) was likely to be less productive than the other two areas. It started off good with a Rosefinch in the garden but after that it was a hard slog with not alot to show for it - a Spot Fly in Busta Geo and a 100 strong flock of Brambling at Kenaby. Simon texted me about a RB Fly in Easter Lother and Jack about another one in Linni Geo. Another was found in Guidicum by visiting birders. My morning highlight was watching the Buff-breasted Sand feeding with a Curlew Sand at Barkland. It was a subdued lunchtime table but I reminded them all it was an afternoon island - as witnessed yesterday, so everyone headed out again with extra determination to find something. News of a Lancey on Foula only served to strengthen my resolve!! As the light faded I was resigned to not finding anything but had great views of one of the two Hen Harriers hunting around Kenaby and could have got some great photos if the light had been better! Evening log call indicated one or two birds had arrived; singles of Stock Dove, Corncrake, Moorhen, Water Rail and Long-eared Owl. Songies reached 160, Goldcrests 80, Brambling 140 and Lap Bunts195.
I received a warm welcome from all the kids when I dropped in at home for a quick cuppa late afternoon before I drove up to the Obs to help Hollie in the kitchen. Grandma and Grandad are really great (and believe me we couldn't cope without them) but I think the kids are missing their parents. Hol is cooking (for 40 hungry birders) once again, but just for two days this time to let Phil have his days off.
Anyhoo, with the lack of rares today, heres a photo of yesterday's star capture!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List